Before we get an indicator of red cabbage, we need to boil red cabbage until it turn to liquid.
Red cabbage is an indicator, if we put red cabbage into a soil the color of the red cabbage will change:
- When Red cabbage mixed with soil and the color turn pink or light red, which mean the soil is an acidic soil.
- When Red cabbage mixed with soil and the color turn blueish-green, which mean the soil is a basic soil.
Start real experiment:
- Red cabbage
- Big container
- Mixing spoon
- Small hole basket
Step 1 :
- Cut the red cabbage into small pieces
- Put the red cabbage pieces into the pot
- Boil the water
- Put the water into the pot until the red cabbage sink
- Wait for 10 minutes to let the color come out of the red cabbage. ( It’ll be purple, not red )
- Take out the red cabbage by using small hole basket
- Take only the color of the red cabbage ( Liquid only )
- Pour the indicator of red cabbage into a big container
Step 2 :
- Find two separate container of different type soils
- Separate the soil into two different container.
- Add 100 ml of water to the two different cup
- Wait two minutes for the mud to settle.
- After both cup of water and mud are settle take another two cup to separate the water from the mud cup ( take only 50 ml of water from the mud cup )
- Put the two cup that has water mud in it put into two separate place
- Take the indicator ( red cabbage ) add 75 ml of it into the cup that has water mud ( total 150 ml for two cup )
- After you mix them together, if the color change to pink or red which mean your soil is acid. If the color change to blue or yellow which mean your soil is base. If the color change to green which mean your soil is neutralization, it is right in the middle of acid and base.
- Soil that is acid, is the soil that can grow plant well and good for farming.
- Soil that is base, is the soil that is not really good for growing and farming.